STANDARD PREPARATION KIT
We will provide you with a preparation kit (we can courier it or you can pick it up). Please read and follow the instructions in your kit carefully. The materials are designed to cleanse your bowel for your exam; if it is not completely clean, we may have to repeat the exam. Any remaining stool may also hide serious conditions.
Individual responses to the laxatives may vary. You may wish to remain close to washroom facilities during the preparation phase and for several hours after the study.
YOUR KIT SHOULD INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING:
- Two Bisacodyl tablets (5 mg): A stimulant laxative which increases the activity of the bowel.
- Two Magnesium Citrate (300 ml): Magnesium Citrate is another laxative that will induce bowel movements. The double dose improves the efficacy of fecal tagging for second half of the preparation instructions.
- Readi-Cat (450 ml): You will only drink 250 ml. Readi-Cat is a CT contrast agent that will adhere to any residual stool remaining after the laxative. The thicker Readi-Cat will mix and adhere best after Magnesium Citrate.
- Visipaque (30 ml): Mix with 250 ml of clear fluid before drinking. Visipaque is also a contrast agent, although much thinner than Readi-Cat. The thinner contrast is made to travel through the bowel quickly and will adhere to residual stool that is already mixed with Readi-Cat. Our computer software can then eliminate areas that are mixed with the contrast, differentiating between residual stool and a polyp.
- One Buscopan (10 mg): Buscopan slows the motility of the bowel, which will reduce bowel spasm during imaging. Spasm can mimic bowel disease during imaging.
BEFORE YOUR APPOINTMENT
- You will need to maintain a clear fluid diet for 24 hours prior to your exam. Strained juices without pulp, water, clear soups (fat-free), decaf coffee or tea (no milk or non-dairy creamer), pop, Kool Aid, popsicles, and plain Jello (no fruit pieces or toppings) are all permitted. We encourage you to have as much of these fluids as you like the day before your appointment.
- Take any required medications with water. If you are diabetic, please call 403-301-4525 for further directions.
- Avoid all caffeine products (e.g., coffee, tea, chocolate, Excedrin, decaf coffee, decaf tea) in the 24 hours before your test.
- 12 p.m. (noon): Take both Bisacodyl tablets (5 mg) by mouth, unless directed otherwise by your doctor. Swallow tablets whole with a full eight-ounce glass of water (do not chew or dissolve tablets). Do not take tablets within one hour after taking antacids and/or milk. Bisacodyl tablets may cause abdominal discomfort, faintness, rectal burning, or mild cramps.
- 3 p.m.: Take the two tablets of Magnesium Citrate (300 ml). It’s best taken chilled and may be mixed with clear juice or ginger ale. Drink slowly over one hour to reduce the chance of it upsetting your stomach.
- 6 p.m.: Take 250 ml of the Readi-Cat. Please throw the rest away.
- 9 p.m.: Take the 30 ml of Visipaque mixed into 250 ml of clear fluid.
- 12 a.m. (midnight): Do not drink from this point until your exam.
DAY OF YOUR APPOINTMENT
- If included in your kit, take one Buscopan tablet (10 mg) three hours before your exam. Swallow the tablet whole with a small amount of water (do not chew or dissolve the tablet).
- Take all prescribed medications as directed with a small amount of water. Do NOT eat or drink anything else.
- Please arrive 15 minutes before your appointment to allow enough time for adequate preparation.
- Bring photo identification and your provincial health card.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Please do not bring children who require supervision.